Thursday, March 27, 2008

Praying At All Times

When I read the Apostle Paul's instruction in I Thes. 5:17 to pray without ceasing, I have no doubt that he could do it. But me? Yes, me and you and every single child of God can pray without ceasing when we choose to place our Heavenly Father at the very center of all we do, say, think, see and experience.

He hears our every word, knows our deepest thoughts, sees when we give a kind smile, knows when our heart sings because of His glorious creation, knows our weaknesses and strengths, understands our hearts desires-after all He places them there. There is not one little part of His precious child that is hidden from His sight. The good, the bad and the ugly-He knows AND He loves and desires a RELATIONSHIP in spite of it all.

Spending time with the Lord in prayer builds that relationship. First off, we need set aside time to read the Word, pray, meditate and just "be" in His presence. There is no right amount of time or perfect place or method. Talk to your Abba, your Father. Just speak and He will hear. Need help getting started-read King David's Psalms to the Lord. Then let your own words flow. Simple, plain words. Nothing fancy needed. Think of the way you love it when your little ones come climb up in your lap and tell you about their day. How you comfort them when they scrape their knees. How you encourage them to try the failed task again. How you praise the way they cleaned up the toys. The same with our Father and us. He desires to spend time with us to meet our every need according to His plan and purpose.

Having a sweet, simple relationship with an Awesome Mighty God leads us into worship and prayer. It is the natural overflow from the love of God. I believe it is the cornerstone for a power filled, satisfying prayer life and ever growing relationship with the Lord.

Okay, now back to the praying without ceasing. As our relationship grows, the Lord becomes more and more a part of every part of our lives. We begin to recognize Him in everything! He has been there all along, but we know Him better now. And our prayer comes without even thinking about it. We ask for healing when we see a car accident. We say "thanks" for a sale on children's shoes. We stop to smell the roses along the sidewalk and remember their Creator. We are no longer keeping God in the Sunday morning box. He is ever present now. Our joy, our thoughts, our dreams, our everything is prayer!

" In him we live and move and have our being" Acts 17:28


What an incredible place to be! No striving. No rules. If we fall, we dust off and get back up. He is patient as we build up our strength in Him.

2 comments:

theGallagherFamily said...

What a wonderful word!!!! I can tell a tremendous difference in my life when I am praying without ceaseing and when I am not. This is new to me, I miss it when I get off track!! I feel lonley without my Abba. I also find that having praise music surroundind me in my day helps this so much. It helps me keep the Lord so near!! I Love You my dear sweet friend!!!

Janine Claire said...

Mom,
I just read this now, almost two years after you wrote it, and it speaks right to my heart today. Thanks for sharing your thougths, and for being a never-ceising encouragement to me. Keep on writing and publishing those thoughts!